Every business needs to think about their marketing efforts. There are many things businesses can do to ensure the success of their marketing plans such as SEO, paid advertising, social media, and more.
But before business can put any of these things to work, they need a clear digital marketing plan.
In this article, we will show you how to get yours in motion. Let’s get started.
Before you begin your marketing strategy, you need to identify who your audience is. Different audiences respond better to certain tactics, so a marketing strategy is not one size fits all.
Both need to work hand in hand to determine what your target audience will respond better to.
For example, if your audience is women in their 20s and 30s, your campaign should include more social media tactics. On the other hand, if your audience is men in their 60s and up, you wouldn’t focus all your efforts on social media.
Set a Clear Objective
After you’ve identified who you want to target, it’s time to set clear objectives.
Answer the question, what do you want your marketing strategy to achieve? In order to effectively answer the question, you need to have a defined mission and objectives.
Measure the Effectiveness of Your Plan
You need always to measure the effectiveness of your marketing strategy. How can this be possible?
It can be done by choosing monitoring tools and keeping a close eye on them.
For example, at the beginning of your strategy, you might want to set KPI’s and measure their effectiveness.
Whatever other tools you should measure the effectiveness of your strategy, you need to ensure you keep an eye on it.
Learn From the Past Mistakes
Unless your business is brand new, chances are you’ve created a marketing strategy before.
And while you might be tempted to carry on some of the tactics that worked for you before, you must also learn from your past mistakes.
Knowing the previous failures of your marketing strategy will help you identify what not to do in the future.
The more information you make, the more successful your new strategy will be.
Set a Budget
This one is one of the most important tips to keep in mind. When coming up with a marketing plan, you need to always stick to your budget.
If you’re going to outsource to a marketing agency, make sure you discuss the budgets in the early meetings.
Determine how much you want to spend on paid promotion such as banners and pay per click.
Make a Plan but Allow for Detours
Finally, while it’s important you make a plan from the beginning, allow for some flexibility.
If something doesn’t seem to be working out, go ahead and change it.
Create a Digital Marketing Plan: The Bottom Line
Now that you know more about creating a digital marketing plan, you can get started and give it a try.
Remember to identify your audience, set a budget, and make a plan.
If you enjoyed these tips and would like to learn more about marketing tips, visit the marketing section of our blog.
Marketers have been predicting the demise of traditional marketing since the late 90s. But turn on your TV or listen to your car radio. Companies still pay for tv commercials and radio ads.
The same is true for print advertising. Newspapers and magazines haven’t gone the way of Betamax. Flyers, posters, brochures, and so on are still alive and kicking.
So why do some marketers insist that digital marketing is the only way to go? Let’s talk about the whole traditional vs digital marketing thing in detail. This way, you can choose which is better for your business.
Traditional Marketing Pros and Cons
One of the advantages of traditional marketing is how easy it is to understand. That comes from years and years of exposure.
For your marketing goals, it means two things. Using traditional modes of marketing means it’s a sure way to reach your local audience. It also offers tangibility.
There’s nothing like a good business card your customers can keep with them. It’s a good reminder of your brand – something they can look at and not mindlessly scroll through.
Of course, it’s not without disadvantages. The costs alone will make you think twice about print or radio advertisements. Print advertising costs can add up when you pay people to distribute your materials.
Another thing you have to worry about is tracking results. Did your flyers make the right impression? It’s not so transparent compared to the number of likes or website visits.
Digital Marketing vs Traditional Marketing
The great thing about digital marketing is it’s accessible. It doesn’t matter how big or little your marketing budget is. There’s a digital marketing strategy that will work for you.
With TV ads, for example, you’ll have to set aside a huge chunk of your budget. Otherwise, TV stations won’t air your ad. That’s not a problem for Google or Facebook ads.
You set your budget and get real-time results on how your campaigns are doing. If your ads aren’t doing well, pause or stop them. Come out with new ads and try again.
Also, nothing beats social media marketing for sharing your message as fast as you want it. It’s as quick as a click of a button. You can’t get the same results with brochures or billboards.
The truth is no business can afford to not be online. You’ll be losing a huge chunk of potential customers if you don’t have a website. A strong social media presence is a must, too.
But if there are traditional means of marketing that work for your business, keep using them. Just make sure you don’t use up all your money for your traditional marketing materials.
Bottom line: don’t think of it as traditional vs digital marketing. If you want the most bang for your buck, think digital first. When you have more money to spend, experiment with traditional forms of advertising.
But don’t forget to track your results. If you need help with digital marketing, don’t hesitate to contact us.
We business owners work hard enough as it is, now we have the task to learn SEO, PPC, Social Marketing, Email Marketing and Reputation Management, each of which could be another full-time job.
I take my 18 + years’ experience in ranking small and large company websites in the major search engines and break it down to bite size and useful information that my small business owners can take to work, implement and grow their business.
Why do I give free marketing workshops? I love this stuff, yes that’s the truth, but, in the future, when your business is really starting to take off, you will need someone to help maintain growth, I hope to be that marketing guru that you can depend on. If not, no worries, the free marketing workshops I hold are great publicity for my local SEO and web design services.
Let’s get together and help each other with marketing strategies, tools, resources and one on one review of what is currently working online and what is a waste of time.
The marketing event starts at 12 – 1pm. Bring your questions, laptop, mobile phone and good looks. Make sure to get to the coffee shop 15 minutes early to save your seat.
Join us for a relaxed, fun and entertaining workshop on the best internet marketing tips & tricks to help grow your small business in the Reno Nevada area.
(don’t worry, this is not a high-pressured sales event where I convince you to hawk your family jewels to get rich over night. 😉
Bring your laptop, mobile phone or a pen and notebook, because you are going to have lots to talk about in this one-hour Internet Marketing Workshop series held by localSEO Expert, Sandy Rowley of RenoWebDesigner.com.
“She makes the information easy to learn and fun.” Cynthia R.
“Best hour spent growing my business.” Tom H.
“If I had only known about Sandy sooner…lucky to know her now!” Max L
THE MOST IMPORTANT INTERNET MARKETING STRATEGY in 2018.
You MUST learn social media, SEO and PPC in order to compete in 2018. Online marketing strategist and coach, Sandy Rowley will do a LIVE FIRE Round Session with 50 local businesses. Have questions? Stuck on something? Sandy has over 18 years experience helping small and large businesses gain new clients online.
This internet marketing workshop is for business owners and locals in the Reno Nevada area who are curious how to increase their website traffic, build their own website, use social media to gain new clients or simply want to stay up to date on the best and proven marketing strategies for their organization.
BE WARNED THOUGH, if you run a local SEO, web design or PPC marketing business or thinking about starting one, do not sign up for this workshop. I have a big heart and love to help small businesses, but draw the line at teaching my competitors how to out rank me. I have actually had a hand full of supposed SEO Experts come to my workshops asking me how to start a SEO business FYI.
Reno Business Owners Only please.
Are there ID or minimum age requirements to enter the event?
Yes. Ages 18 and up please.
What are my transportation/parking options for getting to and from the event?
Lots of free parking located in front of the coffee shop.
What can I bring into the event?
Your sexy self and a laptop, mobile phone and pen / paper.
How can I contact the organizer with any questions?
Call or text her at 775-870-0488. Visit www.renowebdesigner.com
Do I have to bring my printed ticket to the event?
Yes, please do. If you lose your ticket, have an ID please.
A smart business person would be in as many of these results as they could afford.
1. Do a thorough keyword research online. Find the most profitable keywords for your small business.
2. Target only the keywords that you have a chance at ranking for.
3. If the keywords are already over run with large corporations on the first page, chances are you will need a HUGE SEO and PPC budget in order to compete.
4. Focus on long tail keywords with less than 1000 searches per month.
5. Use those money-making keywords in your blog posts, web pages and in your social media posts.
6. Name images from your website as those keywords.
7. Tag your images with Alt tags using keywords, but describing the image.
8. Create a blog posting schedule and stick to it! Once a day, week, month?
9. Link each related blog post to the next one in the cycle.
10.Never delete outdated content. Always update it with correct or new information.
😥SCAMS TO WATCH OUT FOR WHEN WORKING WITH SEO OR SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING “EXPERTS”
“Sure, I will do your online marketing for free. Don’t pay until I get you results man!” LOL really? Free?
1. Does the company offer a “No payment till I get results?” This is a big shocker when you read the fine print. You must have a budget of $7500, $10,000 or more per month that you give to them to run your campaigns for you. This is what it usually takes for big SEO and PPC campaigns anyway fyi. If its too good to be true, it probably is.
2. Did the SEO company use PPC (pay per click ads) to rank #1 for ‘SEO’? Ask them why they are not ranked high in Google SEO search for their own keywords? 🤔
I have been doing SEO (search engine optimization) for over 18 years. Here recently, a number of branding or advertising agencies are now offering SEO and Social Media marketing packages.
These ad agencies are CLUELESS as to how to rank their own website for real keywords let alone able to help your business out. They charge handsomely for these fake services as well.
3. Does the SEO company promise #1 rankings for $100 a month or less? Think about it, if you or I could be #1 for a keyword like ‘Reno Real Estate’ for less than $100 a month, we could be rich! Why are those big corporations spending hundreds of thousands of dollars a month to be #1 for that keyword?
Most of the large SEO or PPC companies are hoping you will keep paying the money and not notice OR they trick you into thinking your #1 by having you sign into your Gmail email and check your rankings. They are also buying fake views to look at your website and inflate your stats.
4. Save yourself the money and migraine headaches and do NOT do your own PPC in Google or FaceBook! Why you ask? These large advertising sites will take your money, fast. You must have skin in the game and be an active PPC marketing expert to make these sites work well for your business. 99% of every business that does their own PPC lose money, every time!
5. Take classes on PPC and advertising before starting a supposed easy to use PPC campaign with Google or Facebook.
6. Do not count on posting on your Facebook wall as advertising. Even if you have thousands of followers, less than 2% of your followers will ever see your posts! FB is total pay to play now.
7. Never sign a yearly contract with a large marketing company like Yelp or others. If some large company is promising you the moon for a few hundred dollars each month, save your money and go gamble in Reno.
8. Hire a kid, neighbor, someone at church, someone off Craigslist…to design your website or do your online marketing for you.
9. Don’t buy into a marketing package just because the person is good looking, popular, seems smarter than you or worse, because you don’t have the time to check them out first.
10.Drop the ball on your marketing efforts because it has been a month, and no one is calling. Marketing takes time, effort and follow through to win big in business.
Did I say NEVER buy backlinks?!?!?!!
👍 Social Media’s Part in your SEO success
Even though Facebook is Pay to Play now, with less than 2% of your followers ever seeing your posts, what are we to do? Follow me on Facebook here: http://www.facebook.com/WebsiteDesignReno/
There are still ways to get ‘free’ traffic from FaceBook.com
1. Post more often. 5 times or more a day.
2. Reply to comments and messages as quickly as you can.
3. Create contests and leverage the participants activity to grow your follower base.
4. Have your happy clients write you 5-star reviews on Facebook as they show up in Google search!
5. Upload funny, shocking, crazy and deeply interesting content to your FB feed. You can share others great content onto your own business page.
6. Join groups where your customers are more likely to be chatting it up sharing their likes/dislikes and wishes. This is a great way to find new ideas on what your customers are looking for.
7. Sponsor a social media group.
8. Make sure that all of your About page information is correct. Use your correct email address as well as your website address.
9. Learn more about Facebook PPC with a free class with me.
10.Set it and don’t forget it. Use FB schedule a post feature and schedule out your posts a month in advance.
Old School Marketing Tips that still work!
1. Business cards are still a great way to reach new clients. Make sure your business card is unique and offers something that is surprising and/or funny.
2. Create flyers about your products and services and share around town. Do this weekly for best reach.
3. Cold calling can work in some areas. Today most small businesses are over whelmed with sales calls. So, instead, call with some good news. Offer something useful and for free.
4. Volunteer at local and busy events while wearing your company t shirt!
5. Take people to lunch once a month.
6. Invite past clients out to an art workshop, paid by you of course. Ask them to invite a friend. Actually, have fun and get to know each other.
7. Print up your logo and a fun business quote on coffee mugs. Then send them to new potential clients. They will use this mug in their break room and will see your message every day at breaktime. 😊
8. Go in on a local billboard with a related business in town. Yes these big annoying ads still work in some locations.
9. Sponsor a local non-profit. Make sure as part of the trade, they send out a thank you email about your company to all their followers on email and social media. Track the links!
10.Host a destressing walk each day at a local park. Wear your company t-Shirt and treat the group with respect. This is only to walk, bond and help each other out. NOT to sell anything!
Smooze and Booze baby! Networking still matters!
1. Sign up for as many in person networking events as you can stand.
2. Look for opportunities to sponsor some of if not most of these events.
3. Go to these events and offer to volunteer. Greeter is a good position to get if you can. 😊
4. Wear your company T Shirt and charm.
5. Pass out your biz cards to anyone with a pulse.
6. Give a quick and free talk at each of these events. Ask the organizer first. Lol
7. Take as many business cards as people will offer you.
8. Ask questions as these events. Example: If you had a choice between buying a billboard spot or a full color ad in “name of magazine here” which would you prefer and why?
9. Wear a funny hat, button, shoes, shirt or something to make you stand out.
10.Start your own local networking party!
Leverage your related, but not competitive contacts in the industry
1. Reach out to other businesses you know and ask them if they would like to do a promotion with you.
2. Share articles from your website onto other websites. Make sure to get a back link to your website first.
3. Create an affiliate account for your business where others sell your products/services and only get paid if they make you a sale.
4. Sponsor large galas and events with local non profits. Make sure to get a back link from their website to yours.
5. Donate business and marketing books to your local library, but make sure to put a tag in the front of the book saying who donated it!
6. Sponsor local Meetup groups that are related to the products and services you offer.
7. Try to be an active member of that Meetup group.
8. Host or sponsor a school event. Send out flyers to every parent in your school district. Often for free.
9. Host a yard sale each Spring at your business. Invite other noncompetitive businesses to donate for an ad spot at your yard sale.
10. Hand out flyers at popular events while wearing your t-shirt.
A large number of you are just beginning your online sales journey and need a new website. I would be happy to create a custom designed site for you. My rates start at $1500.
I am also putting on a private workshop to teach you how to create a stunning website that is SEO optimized correctly. $499 one time fee.
If you are in business, you know you need a website. This is the public side of your business. Not sure who to trust or where to start? Or worse, your using a free website with ads on it? Not very impressive. You can do this and I can help you every step of the way.
Join me with 10 other small business owners as we create your very own, professional website that is optimized for the right keywords and is professional. One-time fee of $399 ($499 normally). This is a 3-hour event. You must have a laptop with wifi capabilities. (if you do not have a laptop, I can sign you up for a one on one session with me where we can use my laptop).
You will leave with a beautiful website that is ready to rank well in Google and other search engines. Call me to RSVP 775-870-0488. I have 4 spots open for next month’s private workshop.
1. Make sure your website is NOT a template that is used by thousands of other businesses. I had a new client hire me to design a custom website after he learned that his website (Love Dating Coach Site) looked almost exactly like a local Plumbers website in the same city. OUCH! Sites like Squarespace and others are cool looking, but the website you create is a templated used by thousands of other businesses. Not very professional if you ask me.
2. Make sure to RSVP for my free, monthly, internet marketing workshops held in Reno Nv.
3. I am also creating online workshops in the near future.
4. Schedule a one on one coaching session with me for $99. The value you get is amazing and well worth the small investment.
5. Use images that tell stories. Never steal an image off of Google or online. There are plenty of Free and Paid stock photo sites for you to use. www.pexels.com is just one of them.
6. Leverage the amazing free traffic you can get from signing up for a business account with www.Pinterest.com
7. Sign up for a free networking account on http://www.alignable.com/reno-nv/seo-web-design-marketing-reno-web-designer
8. Hire a virtual assistant to help with your daily tasks. This will free up tie for you to focus on the most important thing you can do for your business each week, marketing it!
9. Create and send out monthly press releases that link back to your website.
10.Measure what is working and 10x your efforts on your wins.
As always, I am happy to hop on the phone and answer any questions. Our next workshop is scheduled for next month at Swill Coffee & Wine Same time, 12 -1 but make sure to come early and get a good seat. RSVP your seat here: https://bit.ly/SandyRowleySEOPro
If you need help with increasing your websites traffic, I have 18+ years’ experience in helping small business, celebrities and government agencies regain lost traffic in Google.
Web marketing has taken over traditional marketing methods as Americas #1 resource to reach new and existing clients. A recent report takes a look at where that money goes. Borrell estimates brands and agencies in the United States will shell out $65.26 billion this year for search engine optimization (SEO) services, rising to $72.02 billion in 2018 and $79.27 billion by 2020.Apr 21, 2016
How can small businesses integrate these online marketing strategies and tools with small to medium size budgets?
Leverage is the keyword to focus on. Assess what off line or traditional advertising is working or has worked in the past with your business. How can you use social media and other online marketing strategies to increase those results?
As a small business, your marketing strategies have to yield positive results within a few months or sooner in some cases. Small business is competing with the big box stores down the road, the online goliaths located all over the world, thanks to faster internet speeds and affordable ISP connections.
Even though small business owners are working to keep more and more of their local reach, they are quick, flexible and crafty. They have the freedom to experiment and test new marketing strategies faster than the big guys, therefore have an option to catch trends and opportunities for sales before the large corporations.
Online marketing via SEO and PPC allow small business to test out marketing messages, ad copy, colors and photos to thousands of potential clients. They can then pin point what message converts client views into clicks, sign ups and sales.
The average monthly costs associated with marketing a small business within a city can start at $600 – $5000 a month easily. If your a small business, how are you able to compete with the established businesses who are able to afford ongoing SEO budgets like these?
Internet Marketing Workshops, when done on purpose and accountable steps are measured, help small business owners leverage top SEO talent and skills to maximize their own success and growth with web marketing without the high ticket investment of an ongoing SEO campaign. Learn more about my one on one SEO Coaching Sessions.
How can Internet Marketing Workshops help my small business?
Running a small business gives you the freedom to make your own rules. With that freedom comes the responsibility of keeping the business growing. You have customers and employees that depend on how well you market your business. Attending 1 or 2 hour marketing workshops will keep you up to date on the best web marketing strategies, tools and resources to help you keep your business running smoothly.
“Most people digest information in about 20 minute worth of time. In my workshops, I have structured the learning process in 20 minute blocks. The marketing classes are a relaxed, fun and customized learning environment that encourages creative thinking and correct action needed to reach the business owners goals.” Sandy Rowley Web Marketing Coach.
What does web marketing include?
Web marketing includes all the tools and resources needed to reach new customers via the internet. This can include local search engine rankings, social media posts, email marketing, guest blogging, pay per click and view ads across a variety of channels that can include Google, Facebook, Linkedin and other online properties. Internet marketing also includes how your website is designed. Does it convert people into customers?
“Often times, I can listen to a coaching client and understand what is working well with traditional advertising and leverage that data or information to help reach more customers online.” Sandy Rowley SEO Coach
How long does it take for internet marketing to work?
Some web marketing campaigns can generate sales within the same week, others take months and even years to acquire.
This is why researching keywords, competitors and performing a SEO audit on an existing website property is important.
Everyone’s website is at a different ranking position online. There are too many factors to give a quick answer on something that involves so many parts. If you have a company selling you a one size fits all budget, consider the old wise saying, “If its too good to be true, usually it is.” Unknown wise business person.
I have had some clients see great results within a few weeks and others that need more time in a competitive market. I tell my clients that you are always marketing. Marketing is never a set it and forget it. Your business goals should be in line with what your clients need the most. You need to meet them (your clients) where they are at. Does that include a social network, an online magazine or is it off line advertising that will reach your ideal prospects?
Each business has a different timeline and budget to work within. By researching these critical items, a good marketing expert can give you a good idea of how long it will take to reach your goals.
What is the average marketing budget used for online marketing?
I have a good estimate that I share as a general guideline for small business owners who are working to dicepher what should be an ideal online marketing budget for their business. Although the information I will share is real world information,, it is not the golden rule. Each business has their own unique criteria that will determine their best marketing budgets.
Local SEO rankings budget: On average, most small businesses looking to rank high in Google for their top 1 – 4 keywords in their city should set aside $500 – $1500 a month for search engine optimization, marketing and some PPC. If the business is in a very competitive market like cars, medical and legal services, those rates could be double or more per month.
Regional SEO rankings budget: Businesses that need to rank high in Google search for their top 1 – 10 keywords within an area of 100 – 200 mile radius can expect to pay $3000 – $6000 per month for organic SEO work. Those who are looking to rank for western, middle or eastern regions will need to double that number.
National SEO rankings budget: This can be a bit tricky for some small business owners who sell products and services anywhere in the US. Some markets can get away with a monthly SEO budget of $8000 and rank well for profitable keyword phrases. Others will need to target specific cities to keep within their budgets. SEO is not a set in stone service. It is always fluctuating and changing. One day your website could be #1 for a very competitive keyword, and then next week, seemingly disappear from the search results. This is why a solid SEO plan is important before blindly setting out trying to rank for everything that you think will bring in new clients.
In my one on one or group Internet Marketing Workshops, I customize the class to match the individual businesses who attend. I focus on small actions that yield the largest results for my clients. I have found that small business owners are very busy and need to get to the point right away. They also need to see that the marketing strategies actually works. There is nothing more frustrating than spending countless hours “learning” a marketing strategy only to learn later that it was a total waste of your time.
I run a handful of successful monthly SEO and PPC campaigns for larger clients to keep me in the SEO game. With Googles 600+ a year changes and updates to their algorithm, I have too!
My goal is to keep the marketing training session fun, relaxed and super helpful for the small business.
You can sign up for a one on one marketing coaching session for $165 one hour time, recorded session or join Sandy with a group of 5, 10 or 20 other businesses and learn useful marketing tips and tricks for $99 an hour. All marketing coaching sessions include 30 minutes research time where Sandy will look into your current rankings, competitors rankings and what is working now in your industry. All training sessions are as customized as possible for the best possible results.
“If your clients Ain’t Happy (Ain’t Nobody Happy) .” Sandy Rowley SEO Coach Call or text to chat anytime. 775-870-0488