S.E.O (search engine optimization) the science and art of ranking a page from a website on search engines like Google, Yahoo and Bing.
I remember back in the good old days, that if your small Reno business wanted to reach thousands of local customers, you had to take out a loan or beg, borrow or steal a few thousand dollars to get a respectable ad in the Yellow Pages. For some markets, a YP ad would be just the thing you needed to kick start a successful marketing campaign, for others, was a painful mistake (tax right off). Thanks to SEO (search engine optimization), times have changed, and for the good if you ask me.
Google, Yahoo and Bing search engines give a small business a real chance of reaching ideal customers for less than a few hundred dollars or less. You don’t need to be a top SEO Expert or an award winning Web Designer to take advantage of these marketing strategies either.
Monthly Lunch & Learn – Free Internet Marketing Workshop with Sandy Rowley with RenoWebDesigner.com
Listed below are some helpful tips for reaching your new customers using search engine marketing. I wish you the very best in your internet marketing endeavors. I am always here to chat over the phone if your too busy to do the SEO, Web Design or Social Media Marketing yourself. Want hands on marketing help? Join our FREE monthly marketing workshop. Learn more here. I can be reached at 775-453-6120, just ask for Sandy!
10 Steps To Higher Conversions (sales) on Your Website
- Create one page on your website that is designed with one specific goal. A great example would be a landing page that encourages viewers to sign up for a class, e-book, gift…you get the idea. Make this landing page your irresistible offer geared around your products & services. You can hire a custom website development company or use landing page creator sites like Launch Rock, U Bounce or Insta Page for free to little no cost.
Bills.com has a great example of an irresistible offer with their interactive bill tool.
MailChimps home page is a great design example, but uses links to other information. The sole product is still the focus point.
Use a strong call to action at the very top of the landing page and keep the information on the page only about the one offer or ask.
Integrate bold colors and simple backgrounds.
Use testimonials and authority site badges.
- Remember, less is more for high end products and more is, well more for lower dollar services and products. If you need to buy a landing page template from Theme Forest or a download a free one online, fine, do that. Unless you are a graphic designer, do not try to cram a bunch of information onto your landing page and hope for the best. You are only wasting your time. The design needs to be clean, easy to use and straight to the point in order for it to work. You have less than 5 seconds to really motivate someone into action. Most non designers and even seasoned graphic designers struggle with finding the right amount of words and images to create a sense of urgency and demand for their product or service. We feel we need to add as much information as humanly possible. Your viewer will only be confused, bored and ultimately leave.
- Once you have a strong call to action, an emotion generating image or video and high strategically positioned sign up form created, now you can add content below the fold of the web page. Here is where you can list your top 5 frequently asked questions, your top 3 customer testimonials, your latest press coverage and useful information. Remember, only place content on this page that relates to the one strong call to action. If your goal is to get someone to buy the product, only focus on that product. Do NOT have links to any other pages on your site or others within this web page landing page design. Remember, the only way off of this landing page is to buy something, bookmark for later or leave. Period.
- Now that your money making landing page is created, you need to consider where your customers are at online. Are they in a popular group related to knitting? Hiking? Drinking? Find out where they are. It is important to know where your customers are online. If you are selling a product for bakers, I would search for popular blogs for bakers, gift shows, recipe contests and the like. Start off looking for small “mommy” blogs that talk about baking. Email and ask for advertising rates. You are wanting to trade if possible. The goal is for her/him to write a great article about your baking tool/product linking back to your landing page. You could even copy your first landing page, and add logo and picture of the blog site within the landing page… Then email this out to their followers.
- Offer a give-away contest to the blogger. They are always looking for content and exciting things to share with their followers. Make sure that the blogger tags your Facebook, Twitter and website address to your landing page in all their marketing and social media outreach. Give-always are a super way to reach a lot of new business, fast.
- Do a search for Google PPC credit and / or Facebook credits. Use this $100 credit to setup an advertising campaign linking directly to this landing page url. Remember to set your budget to $100, because you can exceed this by several hundreds or thousands of dollars in one day. You can track how many people saw your ad and how many clicked…versus who actually bought something. You can look at the keywords that were most successful and use these same keywords to do an organic SEO campaign for future sales.
- Partnerships are a quick way to reach potential customers online. Let’s stick with the bakery product niche. Who in your industry that is not a direct competitor, would want to partner up and sell your product to their customers? You can offer then a percentage of the sale to do this and/or pay a marketing fee.
- Write an article a day that helps your ideal market solve a problem. This one article or info-graphic or video a day will drastically increase your position in Google organic search. These content pieces need to be at least 800 words or longer to have a lasting positive change in your rankings in Google search.
- Sponsor a local Meetup group for $90. Choose a Meetup group that has hundreds of active members who match your ideal customer base. You can learn more about this group website at meetup.com
- Purchase space in your local Chamber of Commerce website and/or email monthly e blast. The going rates are anywhere from $99 and up, but you can reach thousands of local businesses and their employees fast. Make sure to track the clicks you receive independently of the Chambers email blast service. You can use free url shorteners/trackers from Google and Bitly.
Landing pages are a great web design marketing tool to help convert those new website views into real world customers. I see so many PPC Pay Per Click campaigns with low quality scores and results because they send their paid traffic to the home page of their website instead of a highly crafted landing page on their website that converts to sales.
You can find more SEO, Web Design, Social Media and Graphic Design information throughout my website.
I have 17 years’ experience in helping small businesses with internet marketing. I can be reached at https://www.renowebdesigner.com or call me, Sandy Rowley, at 775-453-6120.
If your like most small businesses, you are concerned with increasing website traffic in order to increase sales for your business. The idea of sending thousands of potential clients to your website seems like sound business decision. Start here by assessing where your current website SEO stands in comparison to your competitors with my free web grader service.
The honest truth of the matter is that most businesses in the Reno area do not have enough people in the area searching for the products and services your company offers to warrant a shot gun blast approach to internet marketing you will often see for sale with other local SEO company websites.
The most popular keywords searched in the Reno Nevada areas are:
- Things to do in Reno
- Homes for sale in Reno
These are the most searched terms for our area, but there are tens of thousands of searches done each month for services like Plumbers, HVACS, Handyman, Car Sales, Life Coach and many others.
These keywords can easily be ranked on the first page of Google, IF, SEO is done properly. Google has over 200 steps that need to be updated with your domain name, your website and web page code in order to be listed in Google via SEO.
What is SEO?
SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization.
SEO is the art and science of taking an existing website and cleaning up the code used to create the website to better match the requirements that Google and other search engines require to be listed within their search engine. This is only part of the success formula for website marketing.
SEM (search engine marketing) is the art of marketing your website in a way that search engines see your website as an authority in your field. SEM is an ongoing process where as SEO is usually done 3 times or so per year, to keep your website up to date with Google’s SEO Algorithm changes. Code that used to be seen as safe (white hat SEO) optimization practices can become Black Hat (illegal SEO) over night.
What are examples of Black Hat SEO?
- Buying back links to your website. Example: Buy 5000 backlinks by tomorrow for $20. This could sound like a great idea once you understand that links from other websites you’re your website helps to boost your rankings quickly in search, but, keep in mind, Google now actively searches for websites that implement this black hat SEO trick and bans them forever. This is not worth the risk.
- Buying website views to your website. Example: Send thousands or even millions of visitors to your website this month for $45. Google loves to see traffic on your website. This tells Google your site is worthy of more traffic. The catch now is, that if you have lots of traffic to your website and no conversions, you guessed it, your website gets banned. If you flag Google bots that you are inflating your website traffic, you will reap those painful consequences. Keep an eye on your website stats every week. Make certain that your SEO company did not buy fake website views to trick you into thinking you’re getting lots of real clients on your website with their fake work. ***Link how to spot fake website traffic.***
- Does your website have thousands of back links or referral traffic from a spam site? Or from some cheesy directory in Asia or another country? This is a telltale sign of fake SEO work.
Website Helpers has a good article on Black Hat SEO tactics that can destroy your online reputation with the major search engines.
- Invisible text. Don’t put white text on a white background. In fact, don’t put even very light yellow on a white background. The engines aren’t stupid; just because the colors aren’t exactly the same doesn’t mean they can’t figure out there’s no contrast. Yes, there are clever ways to try to fool Google about what the background color actually is, but Google is probably aware of most of them anyway, and I won’t cover them besides.
- Cloaking. Google knows what’s on your site because periodically its automated robot called Googlebot visits all the pages in its index, and grabs all the page content so it can analyze it later. Cloaking means showing one page to Google bot and a completely different page to real human visitors. Google despises this aplenty.
- Keyword Stuffing. The engines want your pages to be natural. Finding every place to cram your keywords onto your pages — or worse, including a “paragraph” of nothing but keywords, especially if they’re repeated ad nauseum — is a big no-no. Do you consider pages with lists of keywords to be high quality? Neither does Google.
- Doorway pages. A doorway page is a page built specifically for the purpose of ranking well in the search engines and without any real content of its own, and which then links to the “real” destination page, or automatically redirects there. Doorway pages are a popular choice of some SEO firms, although Google has cracked down on this and many webmasters saw their pages disappear from the index. Some SEO firms call their doorway pages something else, in an effort to fool potential customers who know enough to know that they should avoid doorway pages. But a doorway page is still a doorway page even if you call it something else. Some engines may decide that an orphaned page is a doorway page, and if so then the page or the site might suffer a penalty.
- Spam. Spam has a special meaning with regards to SEO: worthless pages with no content, created specifically for the purpose of ranking well in the engines. You think they have what you’re looking for, but when you get there it’s just a bunch of ads or listings of other sites. The webmaster is either getting paid by the advertisers, or the page is a doorway page, with the webmaster hoping that you’ll click over to the page s/he really wants you to go to.
Read the full article here. https://websitehelpers.com/seo/blackhat.html
What are the current, known safe, white hat SEO tactics that will increase your website traffic in a way that boosts signs ups and sales on for your company?
Posting use full FAQ’s, How to Articles and web tools for your website views are a great way to build up traffic.
Being an active and helpful member of the top 3 social media sites your customers frequent.
Participating in local events that help the nonprofit community.
Generating news worthy events.
Having clean code built to the latest SEO standards.
Implement a conversion call to action on website pages. Example: sign up for our email here, buy this now…. download this free e book.
White hat SEO is all about being a good neighbor, useful services and information. Gaining press mentions and playing the SEO game fairly.
Search engine marketing includes multiple resources and tools that help rank your website in the organic search engine results as well as the sponsored ads at the top and bottom of the search engine results page. Integrating social media campaigns that accelerate social mentions, back links to your websites and actual clients coming in through your door.
With Googles latest update, it is extremely important to keep your visitors engaged with the content on your website. Google tracks how long these viewers are on your website clicking around. This tells Google that your website is interesting, helpful and a good resource to rank high in search.
Internet marketing is a collaborative effort of working with social media, content creation and optimization to meet SEO standards. Internet marketing is an ongoing effort just as traditional marketing requires updated information, contests, coupons, sales…promotions to keep your customers satisfied and with your business front and center.
Look at other successful internet marketing campaigns and learn what was done right, and where you can improve upon.
Lindsay Kolowich | @lkolow wrote a great article on examples of successful marketing campaign.
15 of the Best Email Marketing Campaign Examples You’ve Ever Seen
1) charity: water
When people talk about email marketing, lots of them forget to mention transactional emails. (Download this free offer for all sorts of email copy templates. email copy templates.) These are the automated emails you get in your inbox after taking a certain action on a website. This could be anything from filling out a form to purchasing a product to updating you on the progress of your order. Often, these are plain text emails that email marketers set and forget.
Well, charity: water took an alternate route. Once someone donates to a charity: water projects, their money takes a long journey. Most charities don’t tell you about that journey at all — charity: water uses automated emails to show donors how their money is making an impact over time. With the project timeline and accompanying table, you don’t even really need to read the email — you know immediately where you are in the whole process so you can move on to other things in your inbox.
Read the full article here.
Increasing website traffic is simple. Provide useful content, do the right thing, and be consistent. Learn more about SEO Services here.
Reno SEO, Marketing & Web Design
800 Haskell St, Reno, NV 89509